Wednesday 19 December 2012

Felices fiestas!

Here it is. My first stint on Spanish soil is coming to a close. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't itching to jump on that plane.

So far I've met some bloody fantastic people, I've started to really settle in at school and Gijón is feeling more familiar by the day. But Dorothy was right about home. For one thing, I feel as though my veins are currently flowing with bread, potatoes and ham... I've quite frankly forgotten what the colour green tastes like. And I've just about reached the end of the tether with the manners (or lack thereof) in Spain. Seriously, it is not acceptable to physically push someone out of the way in the street if you need to get by or to let go of a swinging door so that it knocks out the person behind you without a second glance or to stare at, gawk at and heckle young ladies as they walk by. Come on Spain. Seriously. I needed to get that off my chest.

On Saturday I went for a little hike in the hills with Tom from Aviles and a big group of his colleagues from school. I can't really have imagined a better way to spend my last Saturday in Gijón. We got on the coach at 9am and were dropped off somewhere in the outskirts of the city. We walked for a few hours and everyone mingled and mixed and chatted together, provideding me with the most Spanish conversation practice I've had so far. Eventually we reached a viewing point which allowed us to see out across the whole city. It was pretty spectacular. Bottles of cider and cava were cracked open and the first round of Christmas carols was kicked off, with the wind blowing around us and the city sprawled out below. Then we began the walk back down with the promise of a fantastic lunch making the perfect incentive.


Lunch did not disappoint. We started outside with copious bottles of cider and plates of absolutely yummy chorizo. We stood in groups with the men pouring the cider and handing out the glasses while everyone chatted and bonded. I already loved the social aspect of the Asturian cider but that scene definitely nailed it. Then we moved inside and were treated to a four course feast of traditional food from the region, all of which was spectacular. And as if we hadn't already been spoiled enough with local treats, at the end of the meal a group of 5 of the men and a few of the women formed something of a mini choir at the end of the table and started booming out folk songs and Christmas carols. Great food, drink on tap and spontaneous performance. I was pretty much in heaven. And then after lunch I went straight to Laura and Gemma's to get ready for our last night out on the taaaan!

The last couple of days in school absolutely flew by with me barely having a chance to warn the students that I wouldn't see them again until after Christmas. On Monday I had to take two consecutive classes on my own at very short notice which was pretty flippin' terrifying. I battled through, trying to fill as much of the time as possible talking about Christmas and to make it fun. Nothing seemed to float their boat though. I gave them a dramatic reading of 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, I sang Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer complete with jazz hands and I pranced about the room shouting lines from Elf. Nothing. You could practically see the tumble-weed rolling by and my already waning street credit plummeting ever lower. Hopefully over the Christmas holidays they'll forget how uncool I am.

And now I'm sat, all packed up, watching the minutes tick by and waiting until 11:40am tomorrow, when I will officially be on my way home. Huzzah.

Merry Christmas and felices fiestas!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment